We all know that drinking water is important to our survival. Without water, life on the earth would simply not exist. Going just a few days without water can lead to dehydration and even death. But water does much more than just keep us alive. Water really does a body good and you will learn how below.
Five Surprising Ways Water Helps the Body
- It balances your bodily fluids: Your body is made up of 60% water and other secretions which are also known as bodily fluids. Bodily fluids aid in digestion, circulation, urination, absorption of food, and even the transportation of saliva. Additionally, bodily fluids aids in the transportation of nutrients which are essential for life. When you drink water, it helps to keep all your bodily fluids at functional levels, which will keep you healthy and happy for many years to come. On the other hand, when your fluid levels are low, you may feel sick. Luckily, your body knows when levels are getting low and your brain will send a message to the rest of your body telling it that you are thirsty so that you can take a drink.
- It can help you lose weight and control calories: You might be asking yourself; how can drinking water help you lose weight? The truth is water doesn’t directly help you shed those pounds, but when you replace sugary drinks such as soda with water, it can help reduce your calorie intake. At the same time, eating foods that contain larger amounts of water will help you feel fuller which also reduce the number of calories you will take in. If you are trying to lose weight, water can be a helpful tool that you can use to reduce calories while still feeling satisfied at the end of the day.
- Water does wonders for your skin: Your skin simply loves water and when you drink the right amount, it shows on the outside. Skin uses large amounts of water to look supple and full. When you are dehydrated, your skin can become dry and you may start to see wrinkles appear. But with proper hydration and time, your skin will often come back to life and the appearance of wrinkles will be diminished. While drinking water is not going to get rid of wrinkles completely, it should help your skin look much better. So make sure to drink enough water to keep your skin hydrated.
- It helps your muscles: If you love to lift weights, you probably already know that water is necessary for proper muscle function. Water helps muscle cells maintain their balance which can keep your entire muscle system energized and ready to go. The lack of water or dehydration can cause your cells to become out of balance and reduce the number of electrolytes in your system. This can cause fatigue which is a direct result of the stress that the cells are battling. For those that demand a lot out of their bodies, drinking water is highly important. Runners and those that play high impact sports can get dehydrated very quickly, so drinking the right amount of water is key to staying in the game and staying healthy.
- Water helps maintain proper kidney function: Your kidneys help flush out toxins in the body and eliminate waste. But in order to do so, the kidneys need water to help with the process. When the kidneys are properly hydrated, urine will come out freely and will be light colored or even clear. Un-hydrated kidneys will produce dark urine that may be hard to pass. In severe cases of dehydration, your kidneys can even shut down which can cause severe damage and even death. To avoid this, please make sure that you keep an eye on your water intake and drink more when you are physically active or when it is hot outside.
Now that you know the importance of drinking water, why not make sure that you get your 8 glasses every day? Water can keep you healthy and even lose weight when used to replace sodas and other sugary drinks. Remember, if you are physically active, you may need to drink more than 8 glasses a day to replenish your fluid levels.